5 Simple ways to Strengthen Your Immunity
Your immune system is responsible for keeping you healthy and strong, fighting germs, toxins, fungi and viruses using a complex collection of special blood cells along with a variety of organs in your body. Keep reading my 5 simple ways to support your health and strengthen your immunity!
If your immunity is weak, you may catch colds easily and find yourself susceptible to a variety of infections or diseases. Creating positive lifestyle habits and eating well is a great way to help keep your body strong and healthy and able to fight when it needs to…I’ve listed a few simple recommendations below.
5 simple ways to strengthen your immunity:
1) Consume Probiotic-rich Fermented Foods and Beverages
The best way to boost your immunity is to introduce fermented foods into your diet. The probiotics (healthy or beneficial bacteria) found in these foods are far more effective than any supplement.
- Stock up on naturally-fermented or cultured fruits and vegetables (sauerkraut, chutneys, kimchi, kale, carrots), drinks (kombucha, lassi), dairy (kefir, yogurt, sour cream) and more (unpasteurized apple cider vinegar, miso). Just 2 oz. per day is all you need to boost immunity. Check out some great Canadian producers in the pictures!
2) Healthy Whole Foods/Avoid Sugar
Super natural immunity begins with the bounty of nature (whole or unprocessed).
- First choice should always be what’s fresh, local and seasonal
- Get cooking with quality Unrefined fats (i.e. virgin coconut oil, organic butter or cold-pressed olive oil)
- Limit refined white sugar, which has been shown to suppress your immune system
- Check out my ebooks for sale that are packed full of nutrition, delicious and easy to make!
3) Get Plenty of Sleep and Reduce Stress
A good night’s sleep allows your body to regenerate and rejuvenate. Stress can tax your adrenals, which can lead to weight gain, anxiety, insomnia or fatigue. When the nervous system is calm and relaxed it can create valuable energy, manage stress and help to support your body when fighting an infection. Here’s my challenge to you…set up a regular routine for bedtime!
- Go to bed at a regular time every night
- Close down the electronics
- Create a calm state of mind before you even hit your bed
- Here are some more tips on how to reduce stress and get a goods nights sleep
4) Support Your Body’s Natural Detoxification Systems
There are many benefits to cleansing toxins or pathogens naturally.
- Include filtered water with lemon
- Chlorophyll-rich foods (dark leafy greens, seaweeds & green herbs), berries (especially blueberries, elderberry)
- Fresh ginger and turmeric helps reduce inflammation and support digestion
- Deep breaths throughout your day can help the lungs detoxify and tense stressed muscle relax
5) Vitamin D
Vitamin D has been seen to influence immunity and may be best taken in a supplement form in conjunction with food sources such as organic butter, eggs & wild fish.
Cindy is a registered Acupuncturist, certified Pilates instructor, holistic nutritionist and a foodie. She works with her patients to support their whole body health, emphasizing self care, living a positive life and nourishing the body and mind.
Cindy is the owner/creator of My Fit Over 50, a website dedicated to health of women through menopause.
FOLLOW US @womenshealthctr